Sunday 27 November 2011

Why would somebody want to buy my newspaper?

After talking to an individual during her writing on my idea map, i decided that i need to know the certain answer as to why someone would actually want to buy my newspaper. It is a very general question which gives me the chance to write down lots of reasons. This could also help me to realise where I'm going wrong or where I'm going write. I am basing this on my final plans. So here are the bullet points of reasons:

  • Its cheap
  • Its easy to read because of the boxes each section is in, the simple layout and good typography.
  • I will not only include general news, but culture and art etc - therefore being informative, factual and entertaining - good for money.
  • It is weekly, therefore my market will not have to buy it often.
  • It isn't like any other local newspaper out there - its new and exiting.
  • I will have a puzzle so the reader can find my newspaper even more entertaining.
  • It will state what events are on for families - convenient - my market will not have to look on the internet or any other papers to know what is going on.
  • The whole entire newspaper (even though i am just creating the first two pages) is new and refreshing, however keeps a bit of tradition.
  • The concept of my newspaper is to combine the benefits of a newspaper such as general, local news with the benefits of a magazine such as reviews on national films.
  • It is current, however no so current as i am making my newspaper weekly.
  • It is creative and visually appealing (I only know this from my plans, not from my finished product but i am aiming for this).
So overall, i think i am making the write decisions. My plan is to create a new local newspaper, however not make it so new that it is startling and still targets 'educated adults'. Combining the benefits of a newspaper and a magazine sounds as if i have created a 'hybrid newspaper'. The features of a magazine and newspaper must work otherwise they wouldn't have been used anymore, so taking them could help me make a very successful newspaper.

I will be doing a post on the newspaper 'i' very soon because it is a newspaper which has targeted a new audience in a new and interesting way. Even though their target audience is of a variety of people they have still chosen to not include an celebrity news in it no matter how much celebrity is part of our everyday lives now-a-days.
With the help from my focus group, i found that things cannot be too busy, they like things simple but still up to date and interesting. This shows that i need to get the balance exactly right in order to attract the market i am aiming for.

2 comments:

  1. add a comment/addition about the fact that my production is becoming an effective design for a hybrid publication - combines the benefits of a newspaper & a magazine
    current
    creative & visually appealing
    ...
    possibly compare it to 'i' and how that has targeted a new market.

    ReplyDelete
  2. keep the posts tight to assessment criteria too

    HY

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.