Monday 7 November 2011

My Tag-line.

A tag-line is basically is a catchy slogan which is used in marketing and advertising, and sums up the tone and image of the brand. It is also used to reinforce the audience's memory of that product.

This is the phrase i will use on my newspaper, poster and radio advert. It has to be catchy and rememberable, and also not too long so it can be said on my short radio advert and short enough to fit in print on my paper and poster.

After some research i found that there are many different categories of tag-lines:

  • Descriptive - If a product is confusing or unknown, a tag-line may create clarity.
  • Benefit-Based - If a product has a key benefit, the tag-line may focus on that.
  • Point of Difference - Telling an audience how good a product is can help the product stand out in a highly competitive market.
  • Witty Catchphrase - Tag-lines that get popular and are spread virally can  boost the brand's effectiveness.
  • Personality - A tag-line can convey a brand's identity.
  • Visionary - A tag-line that evokes the mission or vision of the company can help a company with a lot of products in many countries present a unified message
  • Provocative or Motivating - A tag-line which can cause thinking and motivation to do something.
Websites of Information

I found a website of a lady who tells you the keys things to think about when choosing a tag line: http://www.1099.com/c/co/gw/lf/linda015.html. I have kept in  mind that whatever adverts she is talking about is based on the American way of consumerism, not the British, therefore it may be slightly different.

I also found another website which is about slogans of newspapers, both American and British. It is very good at giving me an insight into what sort of slogan i should be thinking up:

http://www.textart.ru/database/english-advertising-slogans/newspapers-advertising-slogans.html

Here is the main page of it which is very simply layed out:



I have thoughout of some examples of slogans that i could use and i have also said what category they could be in. I have kept in mind that this is a slogan used for my entire paper, not just the two first pages. I will also feature on my radio advert and possibly sandwich board poster:

- Whats on. Whats new?  - I think this could either be a benefit-based slogan because i have focused on my newspaper's key benfit of telling an audience what is on at the moment and what is new. I also think that it would be in the category of personality bacause the slogan conveys my newspaper's identity of being new. I think it also asks the audience what is news, therefore the news they are thinking of will be in my newspaper. It is short enough to fit onto a poster and to be said on a fast radio advert.
- Weekly Culture. New Culture - This tells the reader that my newspaper is weekly, new and has lots of culture content in it, therefore would may my target market interested.


After thought and research i have found that i want to use the tag-line:

                    'Weekly Culture. New Culture'

It tells the audience/reader everything i want them to know about my newspaper - it is new, cultured and weekly - therefore pursuading them to want to buy my newspaper for a £1. Culture does include music, films and events, but as a whole represents the way we live.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.