Monday 7 November 2011

Scanning squares/QR Codes.

Eventhough technically it is called a 'QR code', i have decided to call it a scanning square throughout to make it easier for me to remember. Here is the online definition of a 'QR code' or 'Scanning Square' to myself:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QR_code

I am planning to apply a scanning square to my newspaper so that if i was to really release this paper, the newspaper's website could be uploaded quickly. I believe that my target market of educated adults would have technologies able to scan the squares, however i must be sure. So in order to do this, i have decided to use technology to find out.


I have uploaded the question: "Do you have a technology device which scans square codes? to 'Yahoo Answers' to see if i get a reaction.






On this website i cannot determine what age or educational stage they are at. Putting a scan code on my newspaper would mean my audience is more involved, they would go on my website to look at more articles, therefore creating more awareness of my newspaper and also, it is convenient for the person scanning so they can get the website quickly.


Getting Answers back

I got a few people answer my question and i then picked a best answer:


I asked this question on this website to see if anyone used their phones to scan the squares, but the answers i got back showed that phones arent the only way to do this, therefore people could scan the codes on my newspaper in different ways in order to quickly go to my newspaper's website. As i have now found out that many different devises can scan these codes, it shows that my target audience would be able some way to scan the codes, therefore gaining my more views on my newspaper's website if i had one.


My Newspaper

I have said for a long time that i want to use a scanning code because i think it represents the modern technology that is in our everyday lives today and how portable. I believe my target market would be interested in scanning the codes on my newspaper because they would be young enough and up-to-date with the world to know about modern technologies and how they can benefit our lives.

As each code is original and sends the person scanning to a certain webpage or document. I would need to create an original scanning code if i  had a website for my newspaper and if i was really going to put this newspaper on the market.

I have searched a few websites and came across this one which creates an original scanning for you which you can then print out and put it on a t-shirt etc, or in my case the final draft of my newpaper. Here is the website where you can do it:


http://www.qrstuff.com/

             

Overall

I want to make my scanning code on this website so i can get an original code. If i was to really put my newspaper on the market i would make the scanner send the reader to my newspaper's website, but as i do not have one, i will send them to my blog instead.

I am going to place my scanning code on the front of my newspaper because buyers of newspapers may be more enclined to want to buy my newspaper and also even if they do not want to buy the newspaper, they may scan the code in the newsagents, therefore gaining more views on my website.

I havent yet decided the placement of my scanning code, as i want to do this in the production process of my newspaper to see what works best with my headline etc.

Another point: I want to put a scanning code on my newspaper poster which is going to be placed on a sandwich board. This is so i can passers by who wouldnt normally buy my paper scanning the code, therefore gaining a wider and bigger audience. I understand that it may be uncommon for people to randomly scan a code in the middle of the street, but at lieast putting a scanning code on my poster makes it more recognisable and shows that my newspaper is up-to-date with the recent technology trends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.