Tuesday 10 January 2012

Focus Group.

I have gone back to the people of my focus group to see what they think of my articles - are they wirtten in the right language? Do they actually make sense?

I just printed out the articles i had written an gave it to my focus group for them to then write notes on it. I feel that this is more reliable than recording their voice or videoing them because they have time to think about what they really think and i get very specfic notes on specfic words or phrases.

When i wrote these articles, i was keeping in mind how the popular music magazine 'NME' write - quirky, unusual adjectives and humourous metaphors. I think using interesting way to write something aims towards a audience who like the different and the unconventional.

So here is the scanned articles with notes on them which i have then scanned:


Person 1:



As you can see, i have also added a photo which i plan to include on my newspaper of the new Norwich artist's work. Most of what i was told from this person was about the puctuation, which really helped because the right punctuation and grammar could affect how my target audience reads it. When i wrote this, i wanted the layout of the sentences in the articles to be interesting because it may be a slightly new element on something traditional. There are also constructive comments that i was given which shows that i can write something aimed towards my chosen target audience.



Person 2:




This person was far more analytical of the articles, and why it is written in this sort of way. I think this person was quite positive and were confident that they knew what they were talking about. I found out from them a deeper perspective on what i have written and therefore help me to think that my educated target audience could look deeper into an article other than just reading it. The words have meaning and an educated audience would pick that out.

How might my research not be reliable?

- I know these people therefore they may not want to offend me, so it would alter their true answers.
- They layout of how i have given it to the people i asked means they may not be able to imagine these articles in the form they are going to be.
- Me just handing them out and being around them while they were writing on this bit of paper could have changed the way they noted on them - more pressure.

1 comment:

  1. Consider doing a readability test to see if your text is the right reading age for the demographic. Three examples of tests are Fleisch-Kincaid, Gunning Fox Index, or SMOG testing. Decide which is most appropriate and carry out a test on your articles.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.